Saturday, April 4, 2015

A note about the photographs on this blog.

When this blog first started, almost all the photos were by me, the fellow identified occasionally as "PTH".  I didn't even bother to identify who took the photos, unless they were taken by somebody else, in which case that person was normally my wife, DJH.

 "PTH" with Pentax K-x.  Photo by AGH.

Some of the older photos were by my father, who was identified as "TLH".

On my photos, the older ones were taken with one of two Pentax 35mm cameras, unless they were very, very old in which case they may have been taken with a variety of other 35mm cameras.  When I went to a digital camera, I went to the Pentax, which is an excellent camera with excellent glass.  It's an all weather DSLR with backwards comparability, so you can keep using your old lenses.  Frankly, it's such a good camera that I remain amazed that Canon's dominate the market, but they do. 

Anyhow, because I was mostly taking the photos, I didn't bother to identify what camera I was taking them with at any point.  My father's were taken almost always with a Zeiss 35mm, although I have photos with a Yashikaflex which I haven't uploaded as of yet.

Having said all of that, as I travel around for work a fair amount, quite a few photos on this site were taken with a Canon digital camera that belongs to DJH, and which has been supplanted after years and years of hard use by a second Canon compact camera.  I don't prefer the Canons by any means, but these are compact cameras and I lack a Pentax compact, or any compact myself.

I've also supplanted the Pentax K-x with a Pentax K-3, which is an advanced professional DSLR.  It's a super camera, and it'll do a lot more than I can do with it.  Indeed, the K-x would do a lot more than I could do with it.  I know that, as I gave the K-x to my son, MKTH, and he's already figured out how to do more with it than I ever could.

MKTH and PTH, photo by AGH.

My daughter also has started taking photographs, suggesting that taking photos is a genetic thing.  Unlike my son and I, who shoot Pentax cameras, and my wife, who likes Canon compacts, she shoots a Nikon Coolpix, a nice little solid state digital DSLR.

The long and the short of it is that I now have the situation that I wish I had identified the actual cameras I was using when I took a photo, and I wish I'd always identified the photographer.  I'll start doing that now, but it's a bit late to go back and do it for the old photos.  Be that as it may, there will also be more of a variety of photos up here now, I suspect, as there are more photographers to add to the library here.


4 comments:

  1. I use a compact Cannon for nearly all of my photos. The price is right and I have taken over 10,000 on this one and it is still going strong. I really enjoy looking through your photo posts never noticed several people were taking them - good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a compact Cannon for nearly all of my photos. The price is right and I have taken over 10,000 on this one and it is still going strong. I really enjoy looking through your photo posts never noticed several people were taking them - good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Neil.

    With occasional exceptions, most of the photos were taken by me (PTH), but there are exceptions, and those exceptions at this point will become more common, with three photographers in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On compact cameras, I like the Canons that I've used, although I'd note that both of those cameras were really my wife's, and not mine. I'd like to get a compact Pentax, but I haven't really seen one that I liked enough to get it.

    ReplyDelete