Me, as a Sgt E-5, HHB, 3d Bn, 49th FA. 1987. South Korea.
These are all photographs from the 1987 Team Spirit exercise in South Korea, which I took way back when. The same photos are (were, since I originally posted this Photobucket messed it up) already up in the form of a slide show, but in looking back at them, I found them a bit difficult to really enjoy that way, so today, April 3, 2015, I'm reposting them in this fashion, with a bit more information.
M577 armored vehicles, which at that time were used for Tactical Operations Centers and Fire Direction Control for artillery batteries.
8 in. artillery battery, in field, but not quite formed up for action.
South Korean kids on the edge of Camp Humphreys.
Blackhawk at Camp Humphreys.
M88 recovery vehicle.
Me in front of M88.
Column of South Korean M48 Patton tanks.
M88.
Graves.
Camouflaged M577s.
South Korean M38A1 with recoiless rifle.
Turkish Soldiers memorial.
South Korean troops in 6x6 truck.
South Korean Army band.
Our tent in an experimental pig farm lot.
Bus garage in Seoul.
Graves.
South Korean M48 Patton tank.
M109 155 self propelled howitzers.
South Korean guard post.
Catholic Church at Camp Humphreys.
Packing up.
Love your pics. I was there in 1987, in Pohang with 1St LAAD. Man what memories...
ReplyDeleteI'll bet! My future wife fell hard for a Marine from HMM-163. When Team Spirit was over and she came back from her deployment to Pohang I threw caution to the wind and made an honest woman of her(LOL). No complaints three decades later so my last duty station at the 2nd ID and Team Spirit '87 made a lasting impact on my life.
DeleteRemember it well. 25th ID came over from Hawaii and the messhalls in the 2nd ID were overflowing. The girls in the ville headed off to Pohang and Pusan in February to give the Navy and Marines their brand of Korean hospitality. Our AO was Wonju and we didn't roll out until early March and ended in early April. Must have been nice to sleep in tents!
ReplyDeleteI used to have a t-shirt I picked up there that said "OB: The beer that made Wonju famous."
DeleteI was there with 4th anglico out west Palm beach...Lupe Soto
ReplyDeleteI was at Camp long in 1987 drink a lot of that OB and soju 304 signal batt.
ReplyDeleteI still have a OB t-shirt around somewhere.
DeleteI was at camp long then as well as MP
DeleteSpent a lot of time at the MP desk
DeleteI was there for Team Spirit in '87 too. 102nd MI, 2 ID. I remember it was a little chilly, but great fun for a young PV2.
ReplyDeleteI WAS AT TEAM SPIRIT 1978,(FROM IWAKUNI,JAPAN.1ST MARINE AIR WING,UTILITIES PLT.)1984 1ST.RADIO BN.(K-BAY,HAWAII).1987,3RD MAR.DIV.
ReplyDeleteCOMMCo.(ELECTRONIC MAINTENANCE/ENGR PLT.).
HAD A BLAST!!!