These photographs depict the Our Lady of Light (Loretto) Chapel in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Built from 1873 to 1878 for the Sisters of Loretto, who ran a school nearby, the chapel is famous for its spiral staircase, which has perplexed observers for decades. The staircase lacks a visible means of support, was built with only hammer and saw, and features only wooden nails. The builder of the staircase is unknown, and left before being able to be paid. Some claim the staircase as miraculous.
The chapel was deconsecrated in 1971, following the closure of the school in 1968. Today it is privately owned and features a museum and is used for a wedding chapel.